Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Do you ever wonder why some things are in abundance and some things are scarce?


I often wonder...


Much has happened since my last blog, almost a full month ago.


4th of July came as it always does...never have plans up until the last minute and it is always down in the city (except when down the shore...). I spent the day with my family and dog firming up plans with some good friends to go into the city. I was talking to B often...like really often...there was definitely something different about him and he seemed happier than he had been in quite some time.


I get down to the city and head to this really nice party in Fairmount. Lots of very nice people and PERFECT weather. As I was there the text messages from B start flying in left and right...wanting to know where I was, if I was going to watch Sheryl Crow and the fireworks, etc...overzealous pretty much sums it up...and moreover, a bit exaggerated considering he had said that he was not interested in a relationship. I proceeded to head down to listen to some awesome angry girl music...we had a great time with him in the background texting away finding out where I was,etc.


We decide to watch the fireworks on the roofdeck and in turn meet up with B on the corner before he heads down with his friends. As always, it is great seeing him and so natural. I know his friends and it was nice seeing them as well. I left my phone on the beach chair and perched myself on the corner of the deck so I could see the fireworks...things at this point started smelling "fishy"...he asked me if there was any way I could get someone to watch the dog tonight...really really odd as well as him saying that he was staying at his place that night (remember he lives at home with his siblings and parents about 40 minutes from the city). Hmmmm....halibut perhaps was the smell...I kid...


So after fireworks we met up at the local bar that he and I would go to when we were dating. When I arrived ALL...ALL of his friends were there. Not going to lie...it is always nice being around his friends. They are all funny and always welcoming with me. I have never felt like I didn't belong. Everyone was very happy to see me....hugs all around...some of these guys I have known since I was 14 and great to be around them.


The "halibut smell" continues when there were a few people I did not know...but by golly, B was going to make sure that was to be changed. He would YELL...LOUDLY...to get the attention of the person who had never been graced with my presence...despite them being in conversation, heading to the bathroom, or on the phone...by george, B was going to make sure they met me/presented me is more like it. For instance, this poor guy Phil was in a pretty deep conversation it seemed when B called/yelled "PHIL! PHIL! HEY PHIL!! PHIL!!! This is L."


I know this sounds trite. It probably is, but it brought back so many fond memories for me when we FIRST met and started seeing each other when he would LOVE to introduce me to anyone who would listen...would go over to the OTHER end of the bar to drag someone he knew back in fourth grade to meet me (yes, that actually DID happen...). He always puts his hand on the small of my back when he does it as well and my hand one hand is extended to the person and the other is touching B. It's a well-oiled machine that has been going on for 6 summers now.


I suppose some people take things like that for granted, but those little things we do and know we do and are little habits melt my heart. It's like being wrapped in some sort of soft blanket that you have had for ages...he feels the same way.


One of the people he introduced me to was his cousin, M. I don't know why I had never hung out with her before. She is ridiculously fabulous. I asked B why he had been keeping her away for so long. We clicked immediately. How they are related is beyond me...she is awesome. I was mid conversation and she stopped me mid sentence and said "you are really pretty". I was like, "um...thank you?" and she proceeded to say, "no, you are like REALLY REALLY pretty..." she would look to B to me almost in disbelief. I always find it amusing when that happens and it does happen a few times here and there...moreso when we first started dating years ago ( I was a hot little thing back then!! :)). We would go out and his friends would ask me how much he paid me to be with him. I thought it was funny; I am not sure how he thought.


So, back to 4th (well, now the 5th) of July...


My friends, who were a bit tipsy, went back home and I stayed with B. We had a great time and our group took over the WHOLE block...lots of fun. The only thing was that he was drinking. Definitely not drunk when I got there but I noticed the cell phone never came out but was triple fisting. Still not sure why he feels when I am around the booze comes out...I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.



He mentioned again about someone watching the dog. Finally I asked what his deal was...he said he was staying at his place in Northern Liberties...shocked that I was JUST finding this news and again, not going to lie, my brain started spinning as to decorating it just the way we had planned in Pittsburgh. He started describing it to me and I COULD NOT wait to get my hands on it...FINALLY I thought....on the right track. Sadly, this was not the case. He then broke it to me that he was house/cat sitting for his best friend and new wife while they were on their honeymoon. He proceeded to tell everyone he was living in Northern Liberties. His self esteem is in the toilet. Clearly.

Well, all good things come to an end...end of the night was fast approaching and no one was going to take care of my dog, but me. So I agreed to drop him off at "his house" which was about 20 blocks from my car. It was fine at the time...but when it took almost an hour (no joke) to even FIND my car as we paraded ALL (and I do mean ALL) over Fairmount...streets we didn't even know exisited. It was fun actually...I would squat down to read the street signs through the trees and shout, "almost there!!" and he would respond with "You have been saying that for 10 blocks now! I'm not buying it!" As we were "discussing" one of the last blocks, a couple came out of an apartment building and we chuckling at our banter and the girl turns around saying..."I know you....B!!!!" OF COURSE you do...I mean, why wouldn't you! They went to college together.

By the time we get to my car, I seriously was exhausted. It was close to 3am and all I wanted to do was pee and go to bed. The thought of driving 20 blocks to turn around in the opposite direction home alone at 3am was not appealing to me. As well, as not happening. As he noticed he was heading to my part of the city he protested saying he wanted to stay at "his place".

He ended up at my house...

To sum it up, we spent the night together into the next morning, doing breakfast and then napping downtown while watching a movie...

After that day, I hear nothing from him...for days...for some reason, he picked some small conversation we had and decided to harbor some anger about it. The question was, "Do you like your job? What interests you?" That was it.

Minor drama happened following, but we decided that no longer would we go through the ridiculous drama that was unnessesary...

No comments:

Post a Comment